Established in 1991 Bedrock Construction has been one of the top concrete contractors in Calgary for a long time. We are focused on customer satisfaction and quality work for commercial and residential clients. We are experts in anything concrete including basements, garages pads, patios, sidewalks, decorative concrete, concrete pool decks, stairs, exposed aggregate, stamped, staining , custom concrete work and removal. We are an excavation company, demolition company and concrete company, we work on both residential and commercial properties.
Our extensive tenure in the Calgary area offers a distinct advantage as we’ve gained a deep understanding of the intricacies tied to this climate, city, and its residents. We have extensive knowledge of what it takes to make a great concrete job, one that looks great, has high durability and achieves the goals the project set out to achieve.
Collaborating with us ensures the opportunity to partner with a reputable Calgary contractor, well-versed in local concrete nuances, backed by proven expertise and a portfolio showcasing our successful track record in quality concrete work.
We guide the client throughout every stage of the process, offering assistance in design, execution, and, naturally, project finalization along with warranty coverage.
If you are in need of a quote for a concrete project please fill in the form below and we would be happy to get back to you.
- Garage Pads/Shed Pads
- Garage Drainage Solutions
- Patios and sidewalks
- Concrete Restoration, Rip-out and Repair
- Small Concrete Jobs Calgary
- Calgary Concrete FAQs
- What is Considered Small Concrete Jobs in Calgary?
- What Does Concrete Repair look like in Calgary?
- What is Exposed Aggregate Concrete?
- What is the difference between Residential and Commercial Concrete Projects?
- What Makes Calgary Concrete Contractors Different?
- What Does A Concrete Contractor Do?
- What is Concrete Sealing?
- What is Polished Concrete?
Garage Pads/Shed Pads
Garage pads are a big part of a new house build in Calgary, garage pads are also something that gets asked for on a regular basis from concrete contractors during renovations as well. At times, some concrete companies believe they can take shortcuts when it comes to the garage pad, attempting to save on proper concrete work. At Bedrock Construction as a quality concrete contractor we believe that every part of the job is important, and that includes things that you often don’t see or think about like the foundation, the re-bar, the concrete and the process.
A garage pad needs to be thick enough for this climate and for the intended use. The rebar that is used and the way that it is used is also a critical part of the process, it needs to be done right. The concrete also needs to be sealed properly so that it has maximum strength and maximum durability.
It is important to have the right drainage and slope to effectively handle water, snow, and ice. Moreover, factor in the expense of a concrete pad and ensure that your investment is maximized.
Check out our cost in Calgary article.
Garage Drainage Solutions
Bedrock Construction has a number of options when it comes to Garage or even driveway drainage. We know that there are a number of people in the city of Calgary that like to not only work on their cars but also help other people with projects too. So we have the ability to help you with whatever kind of drainage you are looking for. From water to waste we can get it done right.
Often the driveway is the first thing that someone sees when they arrive at a house, and offer a range of benefits that can greatly enhance both the functionality and aesthetics of your property. A concrete restoration for your driveway may also make you feel great about coming home each day.
Here are some reasons why investing in concrete driveway upgrades can be beneficial:
- Durability and Longevity: Concrete is known for its exceptional durability and longevity. Upgrading your driveway to concrete ensures it can withstand heavy traffic, weather fluctuations, and wear and tear, maintaining its structural integrity over time.
- Low Maintenance: Concrete driveways are relatively low maintenance compared to other paving materials. They are resistant to stains, oil spills, and debris, making cleaning and upkeep easier.
- Curb Appeal: A well-designed and properly executed concrete driveway upgrade can significantly enhance the curb appeal of your property. It offers a clean, sleek, and modern appearance that adds value to your home’s overall aesthetics.
- Custom Concrete Solutions: Concrete driveways can be customized to suit your preferences. You can choose from various finishes, coloured concrete, patterns, and even decorative elements like stamped designs, giving your driveway a unique and personalized look.
- Increased Property Value: A visually appealing and well-maintained concrete driveway can boost the resale value of your home. Potential buyers often perceive upgraded driveways as a sign of a well-cared-for property.
- Improved Functionality: Concrete driveways provide a smooth and even surface for vehicles to drive on. They eliminate the risk of potholes, uneven terrain, or gravel displacement that can be present with other materials.
- Enhanced Safety: Concrete driveways offer better traction, reducing the likelihood of accidents due to slipping or skidding. They also minimize the risk of tripping hazards that can arise from uneven surfaces.
- Eco-Friendly Option: Concrete is a sustainable choice as it can be recycled and reused. Additionally, its light colour reflects sunlight, reducing heat absorption and contributing to a cooler environment.
- Cost-Effective: While the initial investment in a concrete driveway upgrade might be higher than some other materials, its longevity and minimal maintenance requirements can result in long-term cost savings.
- Versatility: Concrete can be used for various driveway styles, from a classic plain finish to intricate patterns and designs, allowing you to create a driveway that complements your home’s architecture.
Ultimately, a concrete driveway upgrade can provide an array of practical and aesthetic advantages that contribute to the overall functionality, appearance, and value of your property. We can also offer different designs and finishes for your driveway which include placing water underneath it so you don’t have to shovel the snow. Numerous concrete innovations prove beneficial when undertaking a driveway project.
We’ve set up a reliable system of checks to guarantee the use of high quality materials and to ensure that the project achieves its highest possible quality upon completion. Additionally, we’re adept at managing budgets while maintaining efficient timelines.
Patios and sidewalks
The biggest advantage of concrete when it comes to a patio or a deck is flexibility. Obviously there are a number of other materials that you can go with including wood and brick but concrete allows you to do somethings like, colour finishing, stamped concrete and other design elements. It also doesn’t have to be replaced like some woods and can be poured exactly where you need it to be poured.
Concrete is also cheaper to do than interlocking brick and doesn’t have maintenance problems, concrete is a great solution for sidewalks.
Concrete pads are also great for other projects like small garages, workshops or even backyard storage sheds. It provides you with a lot of flexibility and gives you options.
Concrete Restoration, Rip-out and Repair
We also offer a removal and repair service like foundation crack repair. As a demolition company, we can renovate a lot of projects that other companies cannot. Let us know if there is something that you need to fix up.
This project below is a great example of a concrete restoration that we did to make an exterior door more accessible for wheelchair access.
Small Concrete Jobs Calgary
Over the years we have fond that lots of people differentiate between big concrete jobs and small concrete jobs. Often people will wonder if we do both, and we definitely do.
Small jobs may include things like small retaining walls, small concrete steps or stairs, short sidewalks or even small concrete pads for things like sheds.
If you have a small job let us know…we do that.
Calgary Concrete FAQs
There are so many different kinds of concrete solutions in Calgary, due to the nature of the climate and the needs of the people that live here. A concrete company or concrete service has to take all of this into consideration. There’s the weather, the moisture, structural requirements and of course design elements like decorative concrete. If a concrete contractor is doing a concrete project for you there may be some additional questions that you have, here are the ones we get asked the most.
What is Considered Small Concrete Jobs in Calgary?
Small concrete jobs are typically projects that take a few hours to a day or two at most. These types of jobs also don’t require a large crew or a lot of concrete to get the job done. Think of your typical walkway, small concrete pad, or even a simple step upgrade.
We would also consider any type of pre-cast concrete installation or even a concrete restoration project (based on scope) to be a small concrete job.
What Does Concrete Repair look like in Calgary?
Concrete repair can take on a number of different shapes and sizes. From concrete driveways to basement floors to concrete patios each type of concrete application could need a repair from time to time. Usually, it means assessing the issue and providing a plan for restoration or repair. Click HERE to find out more about our restoration and repair services.
Most concrete services in Calgary can also do restoration and repairs to concrete projects that need to be fixed up. Concrete repairs can usually be done quickly and are budget efficient.
What is Exposed Aggregate Concrete?
An exposed-aggregate surface is obtained by placing concrete and then removing the outer ‘skin’ of cement paste to uncover decorative coarse aggregate (either batched into the concrete mix or seeded onto the surface). Most concrete services will offer this type of design, but you will need to make sure that it is part of the project, as it is not the default. Another example of concrete design is called stamped concrete.
What is the difference between Residential and Commercial Concrete Projects?
There really isn’t any difference between residential and commercial projects, as far as the concrete is concerned. At the end of the day, it’s still rocks and water. However, there are a number of nuances that go into the design, execution and safety requirements.
When compared with residential concrete, commercial concrete usually has greater demands placed on it in terms of structural performance and durability. Commercial concrete floors and pavements often require a stronger concrete mix design and heavier reinforcement, such as post-tensioned slab construction.
Residential concrete doesn’t have to withstand the same amount of foot traffic that commercial concrete does.
What Makes Calgary Concrete Contractors Different?
The biggest thing about concrete contractors in Calgary is the weather. We get it all, and sometimes on the same day. A concrete contractor in Calgary needs to make sure they provide quality concrete services and premium concrete to withstand the weather that we get.
What Does A Concrete Contractor Do?
A concrete contractor is a professional who specializes in working with concrete for various construction projects. Their responsibilities and concrete services include:
- Estimating: Concrete contractors provide cost estimates for concrete projects based on materials, labour, and equipment needed.
- Planning and design: Concrete contractors assist in the design and planning of concrete structures, ensuring that they meet the required specifications and local building codes.
- Site preparation: Preparing the construction site by excavating, grading, and setting up formwork for the concrete pour.
- Mixing and pouring: Mixing the appropriate proportions of cement, water, sand, and aggregates to create the concrete mix, and then pouring it into the formwork.
- Finishing: Smoothing, levelling, and applying the desired finish to the concrete surface, such as broom, trowel, stamped and decorative concrete finishes.
- Curing: Ensuring that the concrete cures properly by applying curing compounds or using other methods to maintain moisture and temperature levels.
- Repair and restoration: Assessing and repairing damaged concrete structures by applying various restoration techniques such as patching, resurfacing, and reinforcing.
- Decorative applications: Installing decorative concrete elements like stamped concrete, stained concrete, or concrete overlays to enhance the aesthetic appeal of a project.
Concrete contractors work on a wide range of projects, including residential and commercial buildings, roads, sidewalks, patios, and retaining walls. They collaborate with architects, engineers, and other construction professionals to ensure the successful completion of projects.
What is Concrete Sealing?
Sealing is the process concrete companies use that involves applying a protective sealant to the surface of concrete structures, such as driveways, patios, concrete construction, a concrete slab, garage slabs, sidewalks, or floors. This can be done for residential and commercial properties.
The primary purpose of concrete sealing is to provide a barrier against moisture, chemicals, stains, and other external elements that can cause damage or deterioration to the concrete over time. Concrete contractors use sealing to enhance the appearance of the concrete, as it can deepen the colour and add a glossy or matte finish, depending on the type of sealant used.
There are various types of concrete sealers available on the market, including acrylic, epoxy, polyurethane, and penetrating sealers. Each type offers different levels of protection and aesthetic qualities.
Acrylic sealers, for instance, are popular for their UV resistance and quick drying time, while epoxy sealers offer excellent resistance to chemicals and abrasion.
Penetrating sealers, on the other hand, penetrate deep into the concrete surface, providing long-lasting protection against moisture and other damaging elements.
Before applying a sealer, concrete contractors will make sure the concrete surface is clean and dry, free of any dirt, debris, or previous coatings, especially if it is existing concrete. This may involve pressure washing or using chemical cleaners and degreasers. Once the surface is prepared, the sealer is applied using a roller, brush, or sprayer, depending on the product and the size of the area to be sealed. Some sealers require multiple coats to achieve the desired level of protection and finish.
After the sealer has been applied, it’s crucial to allow it to dry and cure properly. The curing time varies based on the type of sealer, temperature, and humidity levels. Properly sealed concrete can extend the lifespan of the structure, reduce maintenance costs, and improve its overall appearance. However, it’s essential to periodically inspect and maintain the sealed surface, as the sealer may wear off over time and require reapplication.
What is Polished Concrete?
Polished concrete refers to the process of mechanically grinding, honing, and polishing a concrete surface to achieve a smooth and glossy finish. This technique transforms standard concrete into a polished and refined surface that is not only visually appealing but also durable and easy to maintain. It involves progressively using finer diamond abrasive tools to grind and polish the concrete, resulting in a sleek, reflective appearance. Polished concrete is often used in commercial and residential spaces, including floors, countertops, and decorative elements, due to its aesthetic appeal, longevity, and low maintenance requirements.