What is the Price of a Garage Pad in Calgary?
The price of getting a concrete pad for you to build a garage on top of varies quite a bit based on design, size and features. However, if we begin to generalize things we can get down to a basic range.
Depending on the service you receive and the things that are included with the concrete service you can expect to pay anywhere from 4-10$ per square foot of concrete for a 4″ pad. The lower end of this will likely be for just pouring the actual concrete. The higher-end will generally include all of the extra things like excavation, gravel and finishings.
Things to consider are
- The excavation and preparation of the space where the pad will go. Some companies include this in their square footage costs and some have it as an added cost.
- Gravel. Again some companies include this in the overall cost and for some, it is an add on.
- Extras like utilities, insulation and compaction. All of these things will add to the cost of building the forms or pouring the concrete.
Sometimes cracks are unavoidable and that is generally why you can’t get guarantees on concrete. However, there are contractors that are good at what they do and some that are not so good. The most common sources of cracking are the rebar, the subbase, and the conditions when pouring. In Alberta it is often recommended that you go with a 5″ slab instead of a 4″ slab to help reduce cracking and also increase the insulative value of the floor. This will also increase the cost however usually 1-2$ per square foot.
Average Garage Sizes
When you are looking for the pricing on a garage pad we are typically dealing with detached garages. If you are looking for an attached garage the price will be a little different because it will need to be tied into your house. The construction will also be a little different as well.
For detached garages, there is a single-car, double-car and a triple car. Each of these has a basic measurement.
- Single-car garages are usually 14 feet by 20 feet
- Small double-car garages are usually 20 feet by 20 feet
- Mose common double-car garages are 22 feet by 22 feet (Usually the size of attached garages)
- A large double-car garage is 24 feet by 24 feet and is the most common upgrade for a detached garage
- A triple-car garage is 30 feet by 24 feet
Do I need a permit from the City?
Yes, you will definitely need a permit from the city, in fact, depending on what you are doing you may need more than one permit. Bedrock Construction is a full-service garage builder and will help walk you through this process. We have done a number of these projects and can help you with everything you need.
Benefits of Getting a Permit.
Many people are often frustrated by the permit process or even the idea that they need to get a permit. There are, however, a number of benefits to getting the permit
- When you get a permit, certified safety codes officers will give you expert advice, review your plans to find any potential problems, inspect your project, and make sure your project meets the Alberta Building Code.
- Having everything in order beforehand saves you from having to go back and re-do things later
- The permit will also be used during the sale process of your home. Some buyers will not buy without a permit.
Building a Detached Garage
I have a detached garage and if I didn’t have one it would definitely be on the list of things that I would add to the house where we live. Even though it is only a single car garage it is a lifesaver in the winter here in Calgary.
If you are thinking about building a garage and are wondering about the yard and if it will fit, we would love to come out and have a consultation with you to figure it out. You can jump over to our contact us page and fill in the form or just give us a call and mention that you saw this post and you have some questions.
If you are looking for some tips regarding garage maintenance click here for our spring maintenance blog post.
You can also check out our Garage Heaters article to see about getting some heat into your garage.