Does your Garage Need a Facelift?
So before we get started if you are in need of a garage and you are here to check out ideas Bedrock Construction is a full-service residential builder, and specializes in Garages. Check out our garage page and let us know if we can help.
Sometimes however people also need help renovating and or freshening up their garage space to make it more efficient, more usable, or more organized. In this article, we are sharing with you ways that you can upgrade your garage space without breaking the bank or major construction.
Garage Improvements and customizations.
Organization helps maximize your Garage space
One of the best things you can do for your garage is to get organized. Typically this means throwing out anything that you don’t use, or don’t need and making sure that you are only storing things that you need. Before you start thinking about storage solutions and organizing things you need to purge.
- Set aside some time to get this done, and make it the only thing on the list…like on a Saturday or Sunday.
- More people will make it faster and you won’t be left with stuff you don’t know what you should do with. Make sure all the decision-makers are together. Make decisions on each and every item.
- Keep stuff. Donate stuff. Sell stuff. Garbage stuff. Four types of stuff for easy sorting. Pro Tip – recycle things you can like old electronics, paint and cardboard.
- Have you used this in the past year? If your answer is no, then it’s time to get rid of it.
- Seriously, throw it out.
- Kijiji and Facebook marketplace actually work and you would be surprised what people will buy.
- There are lots of options for donations, friends, Value Village and Habitat for Humanity.
- A garage sale is a good idea, but you will need to commit to it and make it happen.
- Visit Unclutter for more inspiration and great ideas.
- Get some bins or storage solutions from a local store like Walmart or Target.
- Label EVERYTHING. One of the most important things about storage and organization is making things that you actually need and use easy to find.
- Above the overhead garage door is a great place for a storage shelf. We recently just made one for my mom and in the summer she stores her Christmas stuff up there, and in the winter she stores her landscaping tools and outdoor equipment and furniture.
- Frequency of use can have a big impact on storage and organization. Tools you use all the time should be in a place you can access. Things you only use once a year can be stored in a different solution.
Overhead Storage Solutions
In a garage, there are lots of opportunities for overhead storage solutions.
- Hoist. Stores like princess auto carry relatively inexpensive ceiling hoists that can take a lot of weight. This would be good for lighter dirtbikes, pedal bikes, rooftop boxes and even storage platforms. You can install the hoist and then use the electric motor to lift it up and down.
- Shelving. This is a basic staple of the garage. Lots of places have pre-built shelving solutions, or if you are into it you could build your own.
- Hooks. Great for pedal bikes, ladders and tools. Hooks can really be a great solution to get things off of the floor especially in seasons that you don’t need them. Think of your snow removal equipment…you can just get it all up into storage and out of your way for the summer.
- Rope and pulley. You can always get some rope and some pulleys and make a bit of a lifting system and get things up into the garage rafters.
On the Walls
A great place for storage and organization of tools and equipment that you regularly use is on the walls. There are a number of solutions that you can use, or create to get the job done. Pegboard is a personal favourite and works really well for things that get used all the time like a hammer, screwdriver, dustpan, tape and scissors.
Another great idea for storage on the walls is hooks. There are a whole number of different kinds of hooks and wall hangers that can really help you organize things. The number one thing you need is a place for the broom and shovel.
One of the things that not every garage can have is a workstation. If your garage has enough room to make it work I would highly recommend it. It’s a great place to use for projects and to help you with things you need to do around the house.
One thing to remember is that now there are folding workstations. The fold-out off the wall like a table and become a workbench. This means you can still park your car in the garage and also have a workbench area when you need it.
If your garage floor is concrete then you are ahead of the game. You can also paint it and make it your own.